Monday, June 20, 2011

World Changers and Me

I had the most amazing opportunity to serve for the past several days. A church we attended years ago was the host church to World Changers. Actually 370 World Changers to be exact. I helped prepare for their arrival and then I helped when they descended on the church. They came from all over the country. It was neat. Here were teens and young adults that are PAYING to work for a week helping needy people in the ommunity. They were nice and polite,  uncomplaining and courteous.The boys and the girls. I was also impressed with the leadership. The project coordinator was calm cool and in control every time I passed him.Crisis or not. His assistant was same way with smile always at the ready. And their office manager... DUDE!!!She was the quickest most efficient worker I have ever seen. For real!
  I helped with everything from mixing hash browns with my hands (washed of course) to carrying suit cases up 3 flights of stairs. I cleaned bathrooms and emptied out sanitary boxes (don't ask ....you really don't want to know) I even took a young lady and her mom to the hospital after she hurt her ankle, and a host of other tasks. It was a joy unlike anything I can explain. Serving others with no thought of anything in return was like a long drink of water to my dehydrated soul. I made friends and memories and even though I thought I was giving of myself to them, they gave me a part of them as well. What a great and awesome God we have!!! He made us to serve. Some people don't get that. They think that the only person they should serve is themselves. But when you pour yourself out and try to "out do each other in love and good works" the joy and the "high" that you get is without words. So ask God to give you an opportunity to serve the body , then roll up your sleeves and be prepared to get dirty. Literally. And when you find yourself cleaning out a sanitary box just repeat in your head "I'm a living sacrifice, this will not kill me and it was bring glory to God." My prayer is this: that God provides more serving opportunities like that. And that my children have the heart for service that I strive to have. That they undertand and live as they know that life is not about them. It's about Him and serving Him. Oh! If you see a World Changer stop them and say HI because they changed my world.

3 comments:

Alan Knox said...

Jessica,

I love it! Thanks for serving.

My daughter is going on a WorldChangers trip in a few weeks with some friends of hers.

-Alan

Jessica said...

Alan, Glad you liked the post. Give your daughter a hug for me. Is this her first time going with WC?

Alan Knox said...

Yes, this will be her first time serving through World Changers.

-Alan