Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I despise Calvinism

No I really do. I know, you were probably expecting a "just kidding made you look" post and then me to ramble on and on about cats or something but, nope I really do despise Calvinism.
You see, I was reading in 1 Tim. something or other (yeah that's right I typed something or other, you're big kids and you have a concordance and Bible,(or you should have one), go look it up) And Paul writes that we shouldn't favor the rich guy that comes in wearing Ralph Lauren and driving a Vette. But when the guy who comes in dirty, poor and smelling slightly of cats and cigarette smoke, we sigh, go over to say hi but little else and then pat ourselves on the back for "going out of our comfort zone". Meanwhile we invite the Vette driving Ralph guy out to lunch, and get his cell phone number, house number, email address, and type his address into our GPS.
          We are so quick to label people. rich guy, poor guy smart guy slow guy, Calvinist, tall guy, short guy. Didn't Paul say not to call ourselves followers of John the Baptist? Or Apollo's followers, or even Paul's followers. Why? because it labels us. it separates us. I have read a lot of really great posts, and read a few books talking about the dangers of the clergy laity divide. I get that. When you label a guy you place one man between God and man. Not cool. But when you give a group of guys a label of Baptists, or Calvinist, or Presbyterian, or Methodist, or whatever aren't you doing the same thing? Then you can turn the label around and use it to make up your mind about someone before you even get to know them. And the next thing you know, in a heated argument you can say "You- you- YOU Dispensational Armenian!" and the person you said it to can look like you just said something about the marital status of his mother at the time of his conception.
       Is there going to be a section of Independent Baptists, and then another section of Freewill baptists and then the good old reformed Calvinist Baptist, in Heaven? If there is I'm sure that there will be a great crystal lake divide that will keep them far far away from the infant baptisers, and the Armenians and the catholics and the Methodists and the disciples, and Jesus, oh wait, did I say that out loud? My bad. You wanna know why I think we label people and ourselves? We're lazy. You see, when we label ourselves we tell everyone in a few words what club we belong to.We then don't have to spend time with the smelly cat guy to see what he believes, or doesn't believe because he has labeled himself a universal Unitarian. Or we can dismiss that girl that we see every day at the coffee shop because she's a baptist and thus she is obviously a christian and so I don't need to get to know her. By giving ourselves the label of this or that we define who we are without giving it another thought. Is this a good thing? is this what we want to do? More importantly is this what Jesus modeled? Is this what He wants us to do? Remember who He ate with, was friends with, brought the Gospel to. People with the "wrong label" on. He ripped the label off and then just forgave them, loved them and sent them on their way, changed forever.

Ok question time: whats a label that immediately puts you off when you hear it?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess,

Calvinism is not a label, it is simply a classification of certain doctrines, no more, no less. John Calvin's main battle was for the orthodoxy of the early Church. He was not a man obsessed with God's election. The "Five Points" were actually a response by some Calvin's students to the teaching of Jacob Arminius. They were never intended to be a summary of Calvin's beliefs. Calvin doesn't even begin to address election until page 920 of the Institutes. Only 67 pages out of 1521 speak of election. What you are identifying as Calvinism, I believe is not Calvinism, but theological snobbery. Paul reminds us that knowledge puffs up and we need to guard against it. It's like Josh Harris said in Dug Down Deep: "When I gain a bit of theological knowledge, I all too frequently can get puffed up with pride. But I'll tell you what deflates my arrogance and self-righteousness faster than anything else: trying to live whatever truth I have. Do you want to keep you orthodoxy humble? Try to live it. Don't spend all you time theorizing about it, debating about it, or blogging about it. Spend more energy living the truth you know than worrying about what the next guy doesn't know. Measure yourself by your practice of what you know." In other words, don't let knowledge puff up but let the knowledge humble you as you actually live out the implications of what you believe. If I truly believe in election, it shouldn't make me proud to be one of the elect, it should humble me even more when I wonder in awe about why God would save a wretch like me. And experiencing God's character in his love for me despite my own filthiness should spur me on to love others no matter who they are, what they look like, how they smell, or what they believe. Whether you think along the lines of Calvinism, Armenianism, Mullinsim, or any ism, faith without works is dead. Putting our faith into practice in humble orthodoxy should be our intention.

Misplaced Honor said...

I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. Especially since I see some of the labels that I previously embraced (reformed baptist, calvinist, complimentarian)caused a schism of sorts at their very mentioning. Granted, all the doctrines that I hold as truth which resulted in my acceptance of these labels I still embrace and believe. The difference now is I no longer have a name tag on my chest and I try not to pin one on another. 1 cor 10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus, that all of you agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgement. quite a lofty goal....seemingly impossible. Especially in todays time where we have a dozen buildings on a single street and the doctrines are usually the dividing factor. There are some very fearful warnings for those who divide the body of Christ. (1 cor 3:17,Gal 5:19-21) In both of these letters, divisions are described as being works of the flesh.

Jessica said...

Micah, it may be a classification but is it necessary for someone to say, "I'm a Calvinist." Is it helpful or unifying?
I would venture to say that you missed the point of my whole post. The point wasn't about Calvinism per Se. it was about the label that it carries with it. I once read something where someone said that while on vacation you should only attend a reformed church and if you could not find a good reformed church to attend then you should call all the churches in the area you will be visiting and ask them their stance of the 5 points of Calvinism. If you could not find a church that was Calvinistic in it's teaching you should consider whether that was a vacation worth taking!!!!! Really???
My point is this: Labels are easy, relationships are hard.

You know, interesting thought.... If we were to have sat in on one of Jonathan Edwards sermons, I do believe we would have labeled him a pentecostal. Read the historical accounts of the congregation when he preached Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. Labeling should stick to cans not people.

Jessica said...

Bobby, that shall be the next rant on my blog. Parking Lot Churches.

Eric said...

Jessica,

This is an interesting post. This is also a topic I've thought about quite a bit.

I agree with you that labels often divide. Far too often we trot out terms such as Baptist, Pentecostal, Calvinist, Methodist, etc. When we raise them like some sort of banner, they do divide and this is wrong. Related to your post in particular, I don't like the use of Calvinism to divide.

That said, I love Calvinism if the by that term we mean a focus on the sovereign grace of God over salvation. It thrills me every day that God has elected me for salvation. It also humbles me a great deal. For this, I cherish Him.

At this point in my life I use the terms "Calvinism" or "Calvinist" only in restricted settings. If I'm talking with someone about theological issues and find that person to embrace God's sovereignty, then I might use one of those terms for purposes of clarification. If I think it might cause division, then I won't use them.

If labels will lead to division, we need to avoid them. If they can help with clarification, then I believe they're fine. If there is any doubt, don't use them.

Covenental said...

I don't like that people label themselves as being blue eyed. It divides people who are brown eyed or green eyed... can't we all just say we have eyes? Of course, then we'd be dividing with eyeless and blind people...

Jessica said...

Mr Covenental,
When my son was contentious and just trying to be difficult, I would be extra nice to him because I knew that through those times God was perfecting my grace and patience. I also knew that he was immature and needed extra kindness so that when he grew up to be a man he wouldn't act so foolishly. That said.
I'm sorry I have made you feel left out because of my blue eyes. You may call me the the girl with eyes, if you like.
So what colour are your eyes? By the way I really like your name. The covenents between God and His people have always amazed me. God and His unending faithfulness and man and his unending stupidity. Its a good name.

Jessica said...

Eric,
Thanks for posting, I was just asking Bobby last night if he thought you read my blog. It's really made me think too. I am not saying that I don't agree with what is stated in the 5 points but that why can't we just go on Biblical doctrine instead of points men made up to make things clearer? I think that Gods word is perfect in and of it's self. I mean what if we were to take some of the stuff I write on here and then come up with the Jessicaists or the Aunerisms.. Actually I kinda like that ;) anywho. its something I've thought about for a while.

Misplaced Honor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
norma j hill said...

I struggle with "Christian" and "Christianity" because they've gathered so many shades of meaning that have nothing to do with my relationship with Jesus and being part of His church.

But so far I haven't figured out any other labels that adequately replace those ones.

Oh dear.

Jessica said...

Norma, me neither :(

Anonymous said...

Great post. I just jumped over from Bobby's blog to find yours for the first time. I enjoy reading you guys' stuff.

Jessica said...

Looking.... thanks for stopping by, Bobby's blog is a bit fresher than mine but every once in a while I will bang out like 3 or so posts and then nothing, check back often ;)

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel

Jessica said...

To my English speaking readers Daniel's post translates: "It seems that you are an expert in this field, your comments are very interesting, thank you. -Daniel"

@Daniel, thank you, your comment is very kind.

Anonymous said...

Jessie, this world it is an entire label. It's just words sometimes, but sometimes words hurt. We are lableled from the time we are born till the time we die. Different kind of lables. That is life we cannot change that.