Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Parking Lot Churches

         There is an area across the street from a big park in Savannah Ga where THREE churches share the same parking lot. I think there may be a strip of grass that differentiates where one church is and where the other is but they all share the same parking lot!!! I'm sure they are all nice folks, they all dress really nicely for church each Sunday morning. they all attend worship services at the same time. I bet they even get out at the same time. They are all roughly the same type of church. By that I mean it's not a Jewish Temple, Muslim Mosque and a Catholic Church. it's like two baptist churches and a Methodist church. every time I drive by there I want to throw something from one parking lot to the other. I've always wanted to call them and ask them if they all get together and do community projects together or if they get together and have socials. I want to call but I'm afraid of what I might say if they say what I think they would say.
     You see, several years back Church 1 was hit by a tornado and the steeple and a chunk of the roof was taken off. Now do you think that Church 2 and Church 3 helped them rebuild? Or offered them a place beside them in the pews the next Sunday? Maybe Church 2 and 3 let the pastor of church 1 take a turn at preaching from their pulpit. Heck NO! The following Sunday they had folding chairs and sat outside next to a busy intersection for all the city to see how stiff necked and hard hearted they were.  News crews filmed them "coming together to face the hardship" HA... they didn't come together, they made a mockery of our faith. Scripture says you will know them by their love. What are the names of the three churches I write about? I honestly don't know, they are so mundane, so blah that my brain refuses to give them remembrance. 
     They miss the point. They missed the whole point of Scripture. The people asked Jesus what the two most important rules are. If I were Jesus I would have said "Idiots I'm God.... EVERYTHING, I say is MOST important." Thank the Lord I'm not Jesus. He said " Love the Lord your God and Love your neighbor as yourself." That's it people. two rules. If you are a note taker you need to like write them really big because they don't take up a whole lot of space.  How can you love your neighbor as yourself when you have a church and two feet away there is another building that claims to love Christ? These are your brothers and sisters in Christ. Say Hi. bring sweet tea, get to know them. Here's a thought: instead of sitting in the same pew and only getting to know the people in your personal area, try sitting in a different pew, in the building next door.  Oh no, someone get the smelling salts we have a fainter. Seriously people. Its about Jesus, plain an simple. Not about us, what we get out of the service, not what makes us feel good, not was is pleasing to us. That's why God gave us spouses and children. but one day we are to gather together for fellowship FOR THE BUILDING UP OF THE CHURCH.
       If I took all my kids legos (I'll given them back after this analogy) and I made a house out of the blue ones and then a house out of all the green ones and then a house out of all the red ones. My houses would look nice, they would be small, the roughly the same size and dimension as the others. but if I broke them down and used all of them together there would only be one. it would be brightly coloured and it would be beautiful to God. who cares what I think it looks like.
Then it could share a parking lot and I wouldn't get all bent out of shape. ;)

2 comments:

Misplaced Honor said...

Colorfully true. Hmmmm...I wonder where we could find someone with the skills to organize a multi-congregational love feast on the lot. ;-)

Jessica said...

I'll put that on my to do list ;)