Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snub your mom

Ok so I was watching this really cool show Storage Wars, and this commercial came on. Usually I tune out commercials but the whole thing for some reason caught my attention. it was for a video game (insert eye roll and deep sigh here) but the whole commercial was watching these older ladies watch the game being played and catching their repulsion at the game. Then the website link is something like your mother will hate this .com
REALLY! I'm not making this up. The whole thing was banking on getting people to buy this because your mother wont like it. Ok so just so we're clear on this... Your mother is the lady that carried you around in her body, got stretch marks, puked, and got her whole body whacked out, then went through HOURS of pain pushing you out of said body (which never goes back to the same shape it was before) then she got up ever 3 hours or so (the equivalent of torture)feeding you and wiping up your poop and spit up. This is the lady you are going to make a purchase and then spend hours playing just to piss her off? REALLY?
What does the Bible say about this?

  • Proverbs 15:20 A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish man despises his mother.





  • Proverbs 19:26 He who does violence to his father and chases away his mother is a son who brings shame and reproach.





  • Proverbs 20:20 If one curses his father or his mother, his lamp will be put out in utter darkness.




  • Proverbs 30:17 The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures.


  •  

    That is pretty tough, but dude that's your momma. Maybe I am taking this commercial a little too personally being a mom. Especially a mom with boys that I know will play video games. What if this was against black people? and the website link was black people will hate this .com? Or what if it was against teachers? there would be groups all over this raising a racket over all this. But a website against mothers... and not one person says something? Why the heck is that? Where are the moms that say NOT COOL? Here I guess. Do you really want to be eaten by vultures? That's not a cool way to go. It's not like getting eaten by a shark or Trampled on by a pack of NFL players. And why would you want to hurt your mom? Ok rant over. Now I want to watch the commercial again and get the website so I can write them and complain, I'll let you know how it goes.

    4 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Not surprising these days when our culture values the individual and self esteem over and above honoring one's parents.
    By the way, your last paragraph of text is in BLACK font which is not visible against your BLACK background. Only reason I can tell what it says is because I read your post on google reader, which always has a white background.

    Anonymous said...

    I just looked into the game and it turns out the main character's name is Isaac.

    norma j hill said...

    Being a mom whose 5 kids have been playing video games for close to a couple decades, it seems to me like this attitude has been around for a long time.

    It's like video games are seen as an important way to assert one's independence, to show that one is different than one's parents, to live (virtually) in a grown-up's world. To show your parents you aren't their little kid anymore.

    Which by the way, it kind of ironic, seeing as how a lot of the young 'uns that feel that way most strongly, are the same ones who never seem to grow up, and live in mommy and daddy's house, and eat their food, and expect mommy to do their laundry, long after they should really grow up and become a real adult, not a virtual one.

    But what I really wanted to say is that when I saw this attitude developing in my kids, I started to sit down with them, watch them play, ask questions about the games, even try a round or two when they invited me (that last bit didn't go far; I couldn't get past the first level of Donkey Kong on Colecovision back in the day, and my attempts at more recent games were hilarious disasters. I rarely get invited to play anymore, and when I do it's with rollicking laughter).

    Just saying, maybe sometimes us moms kind of bring some negative attitudes on ourselves, when we sit around disapprovingly shaking our heads, glaring, waggling our finger. Instead of taking some time to find out, from our kids, where they are at, why they are drawn to things (not just video games, but music, fashion, all the other "teen culture" stuff).

    Not saying it's easy. Or instant. It isn't. But I've seen it make a difference. And protect and build relationships, even as our kids grow into adults. Not to mention I've learned a lot of interesting things.

    The world intends to tear our kids away, and mold them into what the world wants of them. That's what schools do. That's what the media does. That's what "teenage culture" was invented for (it's really well less than a century old). Maybe rather than wagging our fingers, we need to be proactive. That's a reason we home school, for example. And maybe it's a good reason to spend some time with our kids in front of those video games.

    By the way, I think Storage Wars is pretty cool, too :-)

    Jessica said...

    @Micah, what do you think of the new look? Thanks for the heads up. As for the name of the character, grrr but what can you do?

    @Norma, you bring up some good points, one thing I thought about is the fact that moms will probably be apercentage of the buyers of this game.... Isn't that ironic? I mean you know that there will be 12 and 13 year olds playing this game, whos paying for it? Mom. Isaac is into karate, so I'm a karate fan now, I think if you want to be not only a good parent but an effective parent you have to have a bond with them and that only can come by haveing a shared (or a precived shared) interest. Not saying you should be their best friend but have an active interest in them as people. We have to find something in their music, fashion ect that we like and if we can't then it's a heart issue that we need to address. Which brings me to a final point, if your child wants this game after seeing this commercial, I rally feel like it indicates a larger heart issue that we need to stop and deal with.